Another update already!
This one went much smoother than I expected, and I'm super happy about it. It is feature 2 of 3 core things I need to complete before Battle for Azeroth hits the shelves. That gives me another 6 weeks from now to finish up and have Xu-Fu ready for the next addon. Yay!
Here's what's new today: dynamic alternatives!
The page started out without the possibility to have more than one strategy for a fight. Rather quickly it became necessary to add more, so I created the system that has been active for almost 3 years now. It first supported up to 9 alternatives, but that soon became too few and I extended it to 15. And now, with the plans I have, that won't do anymore.
This release removes the limit entirely. But with more alternatives, a better sorting system needs to be in place and that's what you will notice immediately.
The list of strategies is no longer set by myself or a moderator. Instead, when you open up a fight, all available alternatives are checked for a few criteria:
- is it one of your favourite strategies?
- do you own the pets?
- are there good or bad tags on it?
- what is the rating of the strategy?
According to that, the page will pick the highest one to show you, and the alternatives menu shows you all the others in the order of their likely importance to you. Some of that you can control directly:
- if you set a strategy as favourite for example, it will always be shown first.
- In your Settings you can also select which tags are important to you and which you dislike - if you don't mind TCG pets for example, move it to the ones you prefer and more of these strategies will show up.
Likely, giving a strategy a fitting rating is now so much more important and will help you and everyone else to have a better experience.
This is quite a big change in how the page works and I am very curious to hear your feedback. Please let me know what you think of it.