Over the years of developing Xu-Fu's Pet Guide, many ideas and suggestions accumulated. I have tried a few different tools like Trello or even Confluence to keep track of them together with my development notes, but these tools are way too clunky for this small project. And they all lack transparency.
This section aims to solve both problems: all my notes in one place, and making them visible to you, the hopefully curious reader!
2. Important clean-up tasks:
The recent releases created a bit of a backlog that I have to go through in order to make everything work well together again. All other features will be pushed back until at least the most important tasks from this list are done.
I will work from top to bottom through this list (more or less ^^)
- "Reliable" tag - make it automated instead of selectable by strategy creator
> remove all custom available tags from all strategies
> add reliable automation
> add tags "Unobtainable" and "Staff Pick"
> create workflow for adding new tags with markers - two options, automated tag or manual tag
> - "Level 1" level pet tag: suggestion from Nyari
- enemy pets are not recognized in steps
- PO file on Home.php => title for "Article creators" is hardcoded
- message when comment reaches gold status working or not?
- gold comment trigger will trigger email in the language of that person who made the deciding upvote. Not the person who made the comment. com_vote in ajax
- in profiles, btag and discord can be way too long. needs a way to display it properly
- comment previews on landing page show an incorrect time (yesterdays comments are shown as today)
- article editor: when editing an article that is restricted to only ENglish and your own language is not english, it saves info into the localized part nevertheless and does not default to the EN version
- Collection updater - the automatic collection updater enters empty collections when timing out. That breaks the collection viewer and it throws errors. Fix: put a limit to how many collections should be updated per cronjob run and have it run more often. Also: Change it so it always updates and will not create a history of collections. OR - shard it into multiple databases.
- collection viewer - Zoom makes problem, see message from sistercoyote - sometimes wrong level?
- Detail Strat check stopped at ID 70
- translation for "swap to your Family x"
- Sanity checking of entered strategies - if there are stats required, check if there are any breeds that can even have these stats and if not - open up modal window and give warning message. Once this is added, also move the checking and entering of breed tag to strat_process instead of battletable2 (look for "tagsupdate")
- check on rematch functionality. can minimum health req for level pet be moved into rematch strings?
- Notification on login once or so if you have an unpublished strategies that it's unpublished, and if you would like to review + publish it now
- Petimport - adm_petimport.php:
> user pets: option to edit cageable / shop / TCG / obtainable etc.
- battle tag in user profiles needs EU / US switch
: Add XP Values to link list on left (like EU/US appearances of Menagerie). To see which fights give more XP than usual (espcially for legion world quests)
: 21.03.2018: minor sort of request: for the pets that don't have a level/can't battle, take them out of the calculations for number of pets at max level/at rare quality
: I'd like to have fresh comment responses notifications cleared out when I visit them independently.
: message system, put an icon next to the user profile icon when new messages are there.
: When viewing other peoples collection, add a column for your own pets to compare the collections.
: A notice on the landing page when Squirt day is up on EU or US with a quick link
: When substitute finder is used, the description of the fight changes pets aswell.
: Allowing non-family substitutes in non-specific fights
: Longest day achievement in an article with links to the individual fights
==> tool suggestion - compare pets of users and see what duplicates could be traded between them to optimize both collections
: A tool similar to Rufa's tables http://web.archive.org/web/20150405233814/http://signature.neflin.net/wowpets/pets.php
4. Upcoming Project: New Pet Tables in Articles (0%)
Every category article (like "Legion world quests") has a table on it that shows the required pets. This table is not using the new alternatives system and is therefore outdated.
This project is to create a new table that picks the best strategy for each fight in the category, based on the same criteria as the alternatives tooltip (favourite, ratings, tags..) and lists those pets. This should also include required or missing breeds. The table will most likely have a longer loading time and should therefore be hidden behind a "Load Pet Table" button that dynamically loads the table only on request.
5. Upcoming Project: Rematch Mass Export (0%)
Description to follow soon.
6. Upcoming Project: New Ready-Check Tool (0%)
The Legion Ready Checker was one of the most popular tools on Xu-Fu. The addition of user strategies and breeds made this tool non-functional. A new Ready-Checker could be created to be displayed in each category, as well as a separate tool through which a user can select and check if his or her collection is able to complete certain pet battling aspects.
7. Upcoming Project: New Dungeon Tool (0%)
Due to Teroclaw-Hatchling changes the hardmode guides for Wailing Critters and Deadmines have been removed, and because of the addition of user strategies, the Celestial Tournament Planner is not working anymore. A new tool should be created that can be applied to any of the dungeons and to find the optimal strategies based on user collection for non-healing dungeons.
8. Upcoming Project: Pet Cards (0%)
Xu-Fu already has a database of all available pets with their skills, stats and info. This could be used to replace wowhead tooltips with built-in Xu-Fu pet tooltips that show more details about each pet.
9. Upcoming Project: Blog 2.0 (0%)
The blog should support different topics and different users posting updates. The blog should be sortable by topic / date. It should show a quick overview and should be searchable. There should be the option to go to a single blog post and view that in full screen.
10. Possible Future Projects
- comment-section: show more info about the threads in tooltip? maybe the top comment + 2 or 3 additional ones with [..] and a "X more messages" ?
- comment-section: for "Votes", maybe add together all votes from the thread from your comments? Otherwise a +50 subcomment might be hidden because it's not the first one
- Email notifications
- Tools: Top X pets of all strategies
- "Your profile has been viewed X times."
- Add friend (what effects?)
- specific user icons and backgrounds for admins / mods /translators
- user setting how many comments to display per page (currently set site wide)
- better brute force protection (pw reset)
- rework all tooltips to use tooltipster
- comment moderation features directly on page, including display of reports
- allow bnet connected accounts to unlink from bnet
- comment statistics (how many, how often per month, average upvotes etc.)
- article about fun stuff with pets, what they can do:
der stinker und eine schwarze katze spielen warner bros. nach
katzen können sich auf deinen schoß setzen
bäume trinken wasser, wenn sie nahe dran sind
der schreckliche oozling gibt dir einen kosmetischen debuff...
- article about pvp pet brawler, split by family, suggested teams etc.
11. Finished Projects
11.1 Project: Article Editor (finished April 16, 2018)
The page hosts many different articles and supports localization into 9 languages. This editor makes it easy for other users to add, edit or translate articles.
It is fully integrated into the user system, UAC, and allows on-page editing.
11.2 Project: Battletable 2.0 (finished June 02, 2018)
The battle tables were the first thing created on Xu-Fu. They are mostly static and not up to the standards of the current page.
This project was to fully re-create them, to integrate the user system, user collections and to add many more features such as breeds, coordinates, new Rematch formatting, an automated substitute finder and the option to record your attempts to make the strategy more accurate through crowd intelligence.
The substitute finder uses this logic:
no requirements => all substitutes are fine, based on skills and family
only a breed => creator pet, only show the selected breed(s). For substitutes, ignore breeds
only a stat => use the stat to determine which creator pet breed is OK. and use the stat for substitutes and their breeds
breed and stats => for the creators pet, only show the breed he activated. for substitutes, use the stat to show them or not.
11.3 Project: Dynamic Alternatives (finished July 01, 2018)
There should not be a limit to the amount of alternatives saved for any given fight. They should not have a fixed order either. The order should be dynamic and follow a logic that could include user settings, if the pets are in your collection, strategy upvotes, favourites, amount of pageviews, records of successful attempts or other factors.
The interface should use AJAX to reduce loading times and give a clear preview of the pets used.
The order in which strategies are shown is determined by 4 factors. Each factor supercedes the next. From top to bottom:
1. Favourited by user
If you set a strategy as favourite, it will be shown on top always
2. Pets missing from collection
The sorting will prioritize based on how many pets from the strategy you do not
have in your saved collection:
No pets missing > one pet missing > two pets missing > three pets missing
3. Tags - optional
In the user settings, you can set the order of importance for all tags. Preferred tags move the strategy up, unfavored tags move it down in priority.
4. Rating and Favourites
Ratings and Favourites are calculated together into one single score. The calculation is:
- One favourite counts exactly the same as one 5* rating
- The stars are transformed into the numerical sequence -2, -1, 0, 1, 2
- The average is calculated and multiplied by a factor that is determined on the amount of votes+ratings:
1-10 ratings: Factor = 0.5
11-20 ratings: Factor = 0.8
20+ ratings: Factor = 1
This calculation makes sure that a single 5* vote on a strategy is not counted more important than an average of 4.8* from a large amount of voters, for example.
Likewise, a strategy that received many below average votes will be considered worse than one that received only a single 1* rating.
The first three factors only apply to registered users. If you are visiting without a user account, only factor 4 decides the sorting.
11.4 Project: User Strategies (finished August 01, 2018)
Users should be able to add and edit their own strategies. The editing options should be integrated into the Battletables without adding more pages. Most if not all options should be dynamic using AJAX to minimize page reloading.